Run with shortcuts – alternative way to load mods
This tutorial will show you a way to more conveniently and quickly launch the game with mods and additionally load any modpacks you want without changing anything in a launcher-UI, and all that just two clicks away after setting it up!
=> Want to play Just Cause 3? Online? With mods from me and others? Then feel free to check out my Freeroam Unlimited JC3MP server and it's Discord, where you will get updates regarding Just Cause, get early infos about my mods and server updates! https://Discordapp.com/invite/efherxs
But before doing this, don't touch anything you have no idea what it does, just follow my guide
The icon of the shortcuts were made by Electro_, you can get them here; https://justcause4mods.com/mods/high-quality-jc4-icons-ico/
So, let's start:
1) To get started, navigate to the Just Cause 4 directory. If you do not know how to get there:
- Open Steam
- Head to your library of games
- Find Just Cause 4 in your list of games and right-click it
- Click "properties", then at the tabs of the new window, press "local files" and then the button "browse local files"
1.5) If you haven't already, create a folder called dropzone in this folder
2) Now that you are in the Just Cause 4 folder, you should see a file called "JustCause4.exe"
- Right-click it
- Click on "Create shortcut"
- A new file titled "JustCause4.exe - Shortcut" will appear
- Rename the shortcut to Just Cause 4 (Mods)
- Cut it and paste it onto your desktop
3) On your desktop, right-click the shortcut and hit "Properties"
- In the new window, pretty much at the top you will see a field labelled "Target", in it you will see this:
"DRIVE: PATH SteamLibrary steamapps common Just Cause 4 JustCause4.exe"
- Click in this field, where the quotation marks end, make a space and type %JC4MODS%
- Click OK to update the shortcut
4) Now that the shortcut is set up, let's give it launch options to actually include the mods at launch
- Press the windows key and type Variable
- Either hit enter or click the suggestion "Edit the system environment variables"
- A new window labelled "System Properties" will pop up
- In the bottom right, press "Environment Variables..."
- Yet another window will pop up, which is labelled "Environment Variables"
(ignore justlaunch and justlaunchslow)
- At the top you can see a field called "User variables for USER", ignore it
- At the bottom you can see a field called "System variables", below it click the "New..."-button
- A new window called "New System Variable" will open up
- At the top, in the field called "Variable name", enter JC4MODS
- For "Variable value", enter all this, quotations included:
" --vfs-fs dropzone --vfs-archive archives_win64 boot_patch --vfs-archive archives_win64 boot_hires --vfs-archive archives_win64 boot --vfs-archive archives_win64 main_patch --vfs-archive archives_win64 main_patch_hires --vfs-archive archives_win64 main_hires --vfs-archive archives_win64 main --vfs-archive archives_win64 cp_goldengear --vfs-archive archives_win64 cp_deathstalker --vfs-archive archives_win64 cp_digitaldeluxe --vfs-archive archives_win64 cp_goldengear --vfs-archive archives_win64 cp_neonracer "
^ all spaces after "win64" have to be replaced with a backslash, as this site won't let me use it 👏
- Finally hit OK
5) Now you got your shortcut that launches the game with mods and launch options in place, time to test!
- Download this "Mod"
- Unzip the folder, put the "videos"-folder into your dropzone folder, that should by now exist in your JC4-Directory
- Double-click the shortcut
- The intro video should now be completely black until the game loaded and only the progress bar is visible
=> That's it! You can now put in any mods and easily launch the game without any launcher-UI, with just two clicks!
- If you now want to add a 2nd modpack with other mods, simply repeat all the steps above, but instead of "dropzone" , put in another name of your desire instead of "jc4mods" ,another name you wish it to be called
- Another useful thing you can do, is download aaronald's wonderful entity-spawner >>>here<<<, follow it's installation, return to the system variables, click your variable, click edit and add "-quickstart" , quotations included, behind the launch options. This will, as you might have guessed, start up the game quicker